Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Last Homestudy visit...check!

Yes, we can now check off the list our last homestudy visit! The visit went really well. This was the first visit that our kids were here and I am very thankful that they didn't do or say anything too crazy. She did have to "interview" Carter at one point. She said the requirement is to talk to children in the home that are older than 3. She asked Carter, "What do you think about adopting a brother?" I held my breath. Carter replied, "I am so excited that I will have brother to play Legos with and GI Joes with and play soccer with. And I am saving my clothes to give him." (Everytime I put away clothes he has grown out of he gets excited and says it will be good to have these clothes for his little brother.) He did good =) We continued with logistical things. I finally have a better understanding of what a homestudy actually is. She had a print out of about 9 pages, detailing everything we've talked about, things that were in our paperwork. A very detailed description of us, our upbringings, our health, our families, jobs, parenting...you name it. We went over that together and made corrections.
There are just a few lingering things to complete the homestudy process. Our social worker is waiting for our FBI background checks to clear, our tuberculosis results which we have to go back for tomorrow, we have to complete our online training, and get back references. After that she passes it onto her supervisor and our agency....and hopefully we pass =)
I feel so many steps closer now that we have gotten through this huge hurdle. It was sweet to talk to my dad tonight as we tried to picture the moment when I meet my little guy. It still feels forever away, but I do feel a tad bit closer to that moment.

3 comments:

  1. so glad that carter did good for his interview!! so excited for y'all!! miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noelle, I love reading your blog! Thank you (and family) for being so open about sharing the costs, process, etc. It really helps me to see what it's like. We're interested in adoption, but don't know the timing just yet. Can't wait to hear more! Love, Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. we've had people over to eat before and our kids told them directly - "my parents told me not to talk because I would probably say something that would embarrass them." Yep, that did it. Carter's answer was spot on! Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete